Lepia rotunda Desv.
Monoploca rotunda Bunge Bunge
Nasturtium rotundum (DC.) Kuntze
Common Name: Veined Peppercress
Lepidium rotundum is an erect to spreading perennial plant that usually grows up to 15cm tall, occasionally reaching 30cm[
The plant is harvested from the wild for local use as a food.
Australia - southwestern Western Australia, South Australia.
Sand on limestone in coastal areas and on salt lake margins[
Lepidium rotundum is native to the Mediterranean-type climate of southeastern Australia and is unlikely to tolerate temperatures falling much below -5°c.
Lepidium species generally succeed in a sunny position in a wide range of soils. This species is also found in somewhat saline soils and close to the coast[
- Plants for a Future
- Ken Fern
- Notes from observations, tasting etc at Plants For A Future and on field trips.
]. It is likely to require well-drained conditions.
Young leaves - raw or cooked[
- Dictionary of Economic Plants.
- Uphof. J. C. Th.
- An excellent and very comprehensive guide but it only gives very short descriptions of the uses without any details of how to utilize the plants. Not for the casual reader.
- A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man.
- Usher. G.
- Forget the sexist title, this is one of the best books on the subject. Lists a very extensive range of useful plants from around the world with very brief details of the uses. Not for the casual reader.
- Tanaka's Cyclopedia of Edible Plants of the World.
- Tanaka. T. & Nakao S.
- Keigaku Publishing; Tokyo
- The most comprehensive list of edible plants I've come across. Only the briefest entry for each species, though, and some of the entries are more than a little dubious. Not for the casual reader.
]. A hot cress-like flavour.
Seed - sow spring in a cold frame. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and plant them out in the summer.
Division in spring.
If you have any useful information about this plant, please leave a comment. Comments have to be approved before they are shown here.