The Temperate Database is in the process of being updated, with new records being added and old ones being checked and brought up to date where necessary. This record has not yet been checked and updated.
Common Name: Elegant Fairyfan
Clarkia unguiculata is an annual plant that can grow up to 0.60 metres tall.
It is harvested from the wild for local use as a food.
- The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992.
- Huxley. A.
- MacMillan Press
- Excellent and very comprehensive, though it contains a number of silly mistakes. Readable yet also very detailed.
South-western N. America - California.
Dry slopes in the chaparral[
- RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956
- F. Chittendon.
- Oxford University Press
- Comprehensive listing of species and how to grow them. Somewhat outdated, it has been replaced in 1992 by a new dictionary (see ).
Seed. Used as a piñole[
- Tanaka's Cyclopedia of Edible Plants of the World.
- Tanaka. T. & Nakao S.
- Keigaku Publishing; Tokyo
- The most comprehensive list of edible plants I've come across. Only the briefest entry for each species, though, and some of the entries are more than a little dubious. Not for the casual reader.
If you have any useful information about this plant, please leave a comment. Comments have to be approved before they are shown here.